We write to communicate.
- (with ourselves, ourselves in the future, etc.)
Writing is language, and all language is communication.
- Symbols, gestures, body language, speech
- Human beings are insanely perceptive to body language.
Dragon's of Eden by Carl Sagan
- Jacob Bronowski
- Genetic Knowledge: instinct, information we are born with
- Extragenetic Knowledge: you start to gain this as soon as you come out of the womb, it comes to us during our lives
- Most species rely almost solely on genetic knowledge.
- We, as humans rely heavily on extragenetic information.
- Every single person is born with the ability to speak.
- Extrasomatic Knowledge: information stored outside of your body
- Extrasomatic knowledge is useful to humans because we can't remember all extragenetic knowledge or knowledge in general. It helps create permanence of ideas and makes them travel further.
Language is a medium between two brains.
Ideas = brains = signified
Language = the world outside of our brains = signifiers
Ideas do not equal language!